Saturday, October 23, 2010

Continuing with the French Theme


  1. Last night, Dave was sweet enough to rent a very bad romantic comedy, (my favorite) and make me some kettle corn. I curled up on our couch with him and grabbed some Skittles when Ricky (3) showed up. I had forgotten about him.

    He showed signs of neglect. Runny nose, sagging pants, a dirty shirt. "Has anybody fed him dinner?" I asked. No. Apparently, that is my job. "Will someone get him some Ramen noodles?" Eli fed him and then Ricky rejoined us. We pretended he wasn't there for a while, but his sticky fingers kept getting into our popcorn.

    I finally gave up and got him ready for bed. Poor guy. My cold has kind of thrown me off this week with the whole schedule thing and so tonight I decided to make French Onion soup. That should restore some order and confidence around here.

    I stumbled on the recipe when I was reading a delightful book called Frugal Luxuries for the Seasons by Tracey McBride. It makes a great gift. I was reading it while waiting for my vehicle inspection, which sadly failed, as it does every year now. More repairs. Sigh.

    So while Dave replaces our brake pads, I cut up onions. The soup smells delicious in our crock pot so I thought I would share the recipe (with my adjustments).

    Debbie's French Onion Soup

    6-8 cups of onions
    2 TBS. of sugar
    4 TBS. of flour
    3/4 cup Martinelli's cranberry and apple drink (Expiration Date March 09.) Yes, it's all I had on hand, and yes, it has a kick. Any kind of juice should work.
    2 qts. chicken broth-use either canned or the Better than Broth base you get at Costco
    2 cups of beef broth

    Place sliced onions in the microwave for six-seven minutes. Then brown them, adding sugar, flour, and the drink. When they are golden brown, dump them in the crock pot and add the broth. Cook on low if you've got time, and high if you don't.

    Serve in bowls and put on a slice of Swiss cheese on top. Great with sourdough or garlic bread.

    Miss Tracey McBride said it a lot better, but I didn't want to copy her word for word. I'm bordering on some kind of copyright law as it is. But if you buy her book, it will make everything ok.




No comments:

Post a Comment